Double Chocolate Almond Florentines – yes, that’s correct. THEY ARE GLUTENFREE TOO!
Who ever said that you can’t have your cake and eat it? Eh?
- 1 cup of sliced almonds
- 1 Large egg white
- 1/3 cup icing/ confectioners’ sugar
- ¼ tsp vanilla
- White and dark chocolate for drizzling
- Fleur de sel salt for garish
- Preheat oven 180 degrees Celsius. Prepare baking sheet.
- Medium bowl combine almonds, egg white, icing sugar and vanilla. Stir gently – do not crush the almonds.
- Spoon mixture into 1inch balls onto baking sheet. Make sure they are 4inches apart before flattening the balls into discs. TIP – Use fork dipped in cold water to squash if they become sticky.
- Make sure there is approx. 1 inch between discs.
- Bake 20-25mins until golden brown. If they are slightly smaller they could cook take 15minutes. I recommend checking after 15mins.
- Remove and place on cooling tray. Wait for 5-10minutes until dipping or decorating
- For a chocolate base (either white or dark chocolate), fill a basin of hot water and place a bowl of chocolate into the basin. Allow to melt then dip Florentines into the melted mixture.
- Decorate top with left over chocolate. Sprinkle icing sugar on top for added sugar hit or Fleur de Sel for sweet and savoury combination.